Become a member!
We encourage you to join MACLAS, a community of scholars and others from New York to Virginia that are interested in Latin America. Membership is open to all. We welcome participation from senior scholars; assistant, associate, and full professors; both undergraduate and graduate students; and librarians, researchers, and others. We publish a peer-review online journal, the Middle Atlantic Review of Latin American Studies (MARLAS), and award book, article and paper prizes to our members.
Benefits of membership.
Joining MACLAS means joining a relatively small, regional, cross-disciplinary, and eminently collegial network of engaged researchers in your own backyard. It means becoming part of a larger community of scholars connected by their shared interest in things Latin American. It also means:
- Publication possibilities in the peer-reviewed Middle Atlantic Review of Latin American Studies
- Awards for the publication of articles and books
- Professional leadership opportunities on the elected Executive Committee
- Sponsorship of outstanding graduate and undergraduate student researchers
- Research funding
How to become a MACLAS member? Two ways.
1. Join when you register for our annual conference. To be on the conference program, you must be a member. The registration form includes information about annual dues and allows you to pay for both membership and conference attendance at one time and become a MACLAS member (or renew your membership). Until our online registration form is up & running (usually by October for the following year's conference), you can become a member by mailing us a check for the proper amount (see no. 2, below).
2. Join at any other time. For a one-page PDF file with current information about dues and how to become a member, click here or on the image at right, or contact MACLAS Treasurer Michael Schroeder at firstname.lastname@example.org. Annual membership dues range from $10 to $35 depending on status & income—an eminently affordable way to remain professionally connected to your field and your colleagues in Latin American Studies!